I facilitate the alignment of business goals with user goals to ensure a matching value that provides ROI and meets KPIs. To achieve this, I use some of the same business innovation tools used by Fortune 500 companies in
combination with UX research, UX design and psychology to facilitate and lead in discovery and communication of business values and user needs.
Lead UX Strategist 07/2017 – present
• Using my own unique business first process, I facilitate B2B and B2C clients through a series of workshops that lead them to a digital strategy which achieves their business goals by presenting their offerings and telling their story in a manner that places the user as the hero.
• Using a design sprint process I created, I then work with the Creative Director to inform and guide the creative team using the findings from the workshops and best UX practices for usability and design.
A HUGE thank you to Laurel for her UX Strategy work! Laurel's approach and methods are amazing and helped our team learn important insights about our business, encouraged us to rethink our audiences and messaging, and helped us to get a better understanding of how to frame our strategy overall. Not only did she bring her UX expertise to the table, but helped us to brainstorm and come up with key design elements, messaging, marketing and creative concepts that are better suited for our business and can take us to the next level. We are able to gather consumer and behavior insights that we didn't know before thanks to her! - Dana Donofree, Anaono.com
O'Connell + Partners
Interactive Team UX Design Consultant 11/2016 – 03/2017
• Developed and facilitated a UX process suitable for ad agency environment which resulted in a decrease of redesign time while increasing creativity time for Red's Interactive Team while still meeting project sprint deadlines.
• Using Gorilla UX user research techniques, was able to craft a product user persona on a tight budget that created design direction for Interaction Team and a set of data-informed user goals for team to focus on.
• Using psychological, non-experimental research methods, I would uncover design solutions that not only saved time and money but put the user in the forefront where in the stakeholder's original plan, the user was placed in the background of the application.
UX Designer 06/2015 – 08/2015
• Researched intended market as well as internal staff to discover direction of design and human needs for users as well as stakeholders for intended app development.
• Constructed user-centered design artifacts such as personas, journey maps, and empathy maps to discover design solutions for intended app.
• After discoveries from research and artifacts uncovered undesirable results for stakeholder, I facilitated discussion and offered
direction for product pivot to founder, saving time and money that would have been lost had production continued under current development path.
Medford, New Jersey
Founder 10/2008 – 11/2011
• Taking a break from the tech world, I opened and operated a gourmet cheese shop that won "Best of" in both South Jersey Magazine and New Jersey Magazines.
• I managed two employees and streamlined operations using online software such as BaseCamp, creating a store task management portal that employees used daily. • Taught classes to small and medium groups on the origins, tasting process and pairing of gourmet cheeses.
Master's Degree 2014 – 2016
Philadelphia University, Philadelphia,PA
“I taught Laurel for two semesters in the Masters in Interaction Design & Media program at Philadelphia University. She has a clear passion to become a top UX professional and her course work shows a propensity to excel in the field. She is a critical thinker with a naturally inquisitive mind that makes her well suited to solve serious user experience challenges. Beyond her ability in the classroom, Her sense of humor and good natured tone make her a joy to work with. I expect Laurel to find success as a UX professional and would recommend her for a position at any firm.”- Mike Gadsby, partner, CXO @ O3 World
Mini-Masters in UX Design 2014 – 2014
In an immersive experience that simulates Agile/Lean UX product development, I learned and practiced contextual inquiry, prototyping, usability testing, how to evangelize for UX, and everything in between by taking on a real world project, uncovering the design solution through the methods mentioned above and produced a working prototype that was presented to the project team's members. In all the time that this class was being taught, I was the only student who not only completed all the tasks presented, but continued on to build and deliver a working, branded website featuring the sprint process and progression that the class professors still use in their class for demonstration of excellent deliverables.
CLC Client Server Programming 1999 – 1999
Cabrini University BA 1992 – 1996
The Hun School of Princeton High School Diploma 1991 – 1992